Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Heart NYC

Yesterday I was on the F train Queens bound (ewwwwww). The train stops at Roosevelt Ave. and it's not moving. I don't think much of it since it's a popular stop so people are probably getting in and out. All of sudden I look to my right and an MTA employee (EWWWW) calls in his radio, the cart number and where we are located. I also see people starting to get up and look at the floor so I take a quick peek and I see a guy passed out on the floor.

The MTA employee asks if there are any doctors present, when there wasn't, he was communicating with the outside world to get cops or paramadics in here. Obviously the train isn't going anywhere, I can't take any other train. I'm boderline annoyed that this guy is passed out and they'll evacuate us and take forever to do what takes ten minutes to do. None of us know what is going on with the guy. Someone says to give him some water, someone says maybe he's drunk. The MTA employee calls in and says "I don't know, I think this guy is passed out from drinking too much," but no one is sure.

The MTA employee walks away and a lady gets up from her sit and tries to wake the guy up. She says "excuse me, sir," "excuse me, sir", he doesn't wake up. Then she shakes his shoulder gently, trying to wake him up. Someone standing outside the train says "don't touch him, don't touch him," to that she says, "it's okay, i'm a nurse." She flips him over and says "come on baby, wake up baby, are you okay?" The guy wakes up and nods his head. She asks him "are you drunk?", he nods his head (but of course....). Instantly all the sympathy, empathy, any form of kindness vanishes from every single person on the track. Now it's replaced by "sit down, sit down", "they are calling the cops," "sit down, I want to go home", "they are not going to close the door unless you sit down", "come on man, you're holding up the train."

Finally he gets up and he's stumbling but finally sat down. The MTA employee came back and everyone's like "look, he's okay, he was just drunk". The employee asked him if he needs any medical assitance and all that legal stuff. The drunk guy answers no, he's also trying super hard to stay awake. Finally the doors close, gives us all hope, opens again just to tease us and closes once more and the train moves on. The drunk knocks out once again, but this time in his seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment